A novel tunable compensator for first-order polarization-mode dispersion is demonstrated using a linearly chirped fiber Bragg grating written into a high-birefringence hydrogen-loaded fiber. By tuning the bandwidth of the grating from 0.96 to 5.02 nm with nearly fixed center wavelength using a specially designed cantilever beam, the device can generate a tunable differential group delay of 447 to 106 ps.
- Optical fiber communication
- Optical fiber dispersion
- Optical fiber polarization
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Electronic, Optical and Magnetic Materials
- Atomic and Molecular Physics, and Optics
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering