Previous approaches that integrate interferometric synthetic aperture radar (InSAR) and GPS measurements for 3-D surface displacement mapping require statistically estimating the variances of the measurements to yield optimal results. We present a variance component estimation approach to weigh the InSAR and GPS measurements in deriving 3-D surface displacements. The approach exploits the observations themselves for determining the weighting scheme, and therefore the a priori information on the stochastic model of the observations is not required. This is of great importance as accurate knowledge on the stochastic model is often unavailable. The performance of the proposed method is validated with both simulated and real datasets.
- 3-D surface displacements
- Global positioning system (GPS)
- interferometric synthetic aperture radar (InSAR)
- variance component estimation (VCE)
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Geotechnical Engineering and Engineering Geology
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering