Qiu et al. demonstrate a targeted sonogenetic approach: sensitizing neurons to low-intensity ultrasound stimulation by expressing the mechanosensitive channel MscL-G22S in vitro and in vivo. Ultrasound triggered Ca2+ influx-consequent neuronal activation in MscL-expressing cells. Transcranially stimulating MscL-expressing brain regions evoked muscular responses and c-Fos expression without widespread non-specific activation.
- mechanosensitive ion channel
- noninvasive neuromodulation
- targeted neurostimulation
- transcranial ultrasound stimulation
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Biochemistry, Genetics and Molecular Biology(all)