The enhancement of optical nonlinearities in a gold film with random roughness were measured by Z-scan technique with 0.71 ns, 532 nm laser pulses. The values of the nonlinear absorption coefficient ? and nonlinear refractive index coefficient ? were obtained through open- and close-aperture Z-scan, ? = -1.3 × 10-5 m/W, ? = 1. 32 × 10-12 m2/W, correspondingly, the imaginary part ?(3)Im and the real part ?(3) Re of the third-order nonlinear susceptibility ?(3) were obtained, respectively. The thermal effect and the enhancement of optical nonlinearities due to the surface plasmon resonance in metal film were discussed. © 2003 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.
- Optical nonlinearity
- Surface plasmon resonance
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Electronic, Optical and Magnetic Materials
- Atomic and Molecular Physics, and Optics
- Physical and Theoretical Chemistry
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering