The major research methodologies deployed for operations management (OM) research include analytical modeling research (e.g., optimization, computational, and simulation models), quantitative empirical research (e.g., surveys, and event studies), and case study research. In recent years, there is an emerging trend toward employing a multi-methodological approach (MMA) to address complex and intriguing OM issues. The MMA helps derive solid research results and boost the scientific merit of OM research. We examine this research trend and present some MMAs germane to the pursuit of rigorous and scientific OM research. We also discuss the strengths and weaknesses of such MMAs.
- multi-methodological research
- operations management research
- research methods
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Management Science and Operations Research
- Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering
- Management of Technology and Innovation