We propose a novel scheme for simultaneous strain and temperature measurement by mode division multiplexing (MDM) in a dual cladding modes fiber up-taper interferometer. The fiber interferometer, with a strong cladding mode and a weak cladding mode, can be constructed by fabricating two optimized adjacent fiber up-tapers along a single-mode fiber. With theMDM method, the temperature and strain measurement resolutions reach ±0.05 °C and ±3.14 μe, respectively, which are much higher than those of the other proposed dual-parameters (temperature and strain) measurement solutions.
- Dual cladding modes fiber interferometer
- Dual parameters measurement
- Mode division multiplexing
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Electronic, Optical and Magnetic Materials
- Atomic and Molecular Physics, and Optics
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering