L'augmentation de la consommation à long-terme de protéines animales est associée à une augmentation du risque de diabète chez les sujets âgés enquête des îles médi

Translated title of the contribution: Long-term animal-protein consumption is associated with an increased prevalence of diabetes among the elderly: The Mediterranean islands (MEDIS) study

G. D. Pounis, S. Tyrovolas, M. Antonopoulou, A. Zeimbekis, F. Anastasiou, V. Bountztiouka, G. Metallinos, E. Gotsis, E. Lioliou, E. Polychronopoulos, C. Lionis, D. B. Panagiotakos

Research output: Journal article publicationJournal articleAcademic researchpeer-review

36 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Aim: The role of animal-protein consumption on the prevalence of diabetes is not yet fully understood. For this reason, this study investigated the relationship between long-term animal-protein intake and diabetes in elderly individuals with no known cardiovascular disease. Methods: During 2005-2007, 1190 men and women, aged 65-100 years, from Cyprus, Mitilini, Samothraki, Cephalonia, Crete, Lemnos, Corfu and Zakynthos were enrolled into the study. Diabetes was defined as fasting blood glucose ≥ 125. mg/dL or the use of antidiabetic medication. All participants were asked about their dietary habits through a semiquantitative food-frequency questionnaire. Assessment of protein and energy intakes was performed using food-composition tables. Results: After adjusting for age, gender, obesity, history of hypertension, hypercholesterolaemia and dietary habits, a 5% increase in protein intake from meat and meat products was associated with a 34% (OR. = 1.338, 95% CI: 1.02-1.76) greater likelihood of diabetes, while a 5% increase in total protein intake was associated with a 29% (OR. = 1.288, 95% CI: 1.00-1.69) greater likelihood of diabetes. No significant associations between diabetes and protein intakes from vegetables and cereals were observed. Conclusion: Animal-protein consumption was associated with a higher prevalence of diabetes among the elderly, whereas protein intakes, especially from plant sources, within the recommended range appear to confer considerable protection. This suggests that reducing or controlling the burden of diabetes through dietary means in the elderly should include monitoring their daily protein intake. Objectif: Les relations entre consommation de protéines et développement du diabète sont mal connues. Cette enquête était destinée à établir les relations entre la consommation à long-terme des protéines et le diabète sucré chez des sujets âgés indemnes de maladie cardiovasculaire. Méthodes: L'enquête a été réalisée entre 2005 et 2007, et s'est adressée à 1190 sujets des deux sexes, âgés de 65 à 100 ans, qui habitaient Chypre, Mitilini, Samothrace, Céphalonia, La Crète, Lemnos, Corfou, et Zakynthos. Le diabète était défini par une glycémie à jeun ≥125. mg/dL ou la prise de médicaments antidiabétiques. Tous les participants ont été interrogés sur leurs habitudes alimentaires et ont répondu à un questionnaire. L'évaluation de la consommation de protéines et des apports énergétiques a été réalisée grâce aux tables de composition des aliments. Résultats: Ainsi, 21 % des hommes et 23 % des femmes avaient un diabète (P<0,001). Après ajustement selon l'âge, le sexe, l'obésité, les habitudes alimentaires, les antécédents d'hypertension et d'hypercholestérolémie, une augmentation de 5 % de la consommation des protéines animales (viandes et produits d'origine animale) était associée à une augmentation du risque relatif de diabète de 34 % (OR. = 1,338, IC à 95 % 1,02-1,76), alors qu'une augmentation de 5 % de la consommation des protéines totales était associée à une augmentation du risque relatif de diabète de 29 % (OR. = 1,288, IC à 95 % 1,00-1,69). Il n'y avait pas d'association statistique entre la consommation de protéines végétales et le risque de diabète. Conclusions: La consommation à long-terme de protéines animales en quantité importante est associée à un développement plus fréquent du diabète chez les sujets âgés, alors que la consommation des apports protidiques recommandés (particulièrement en protéines végétales) pourrait contribuer à la protection vis à vis du développement du diabète. Les outils diététiques destinés à réduire le risque de diabète chez les sujets âgés devraient inclure le contrôle des apports quotidiens en protéines.

Translated title of the contributionLong-term animal-protein consumption is associated with an increased prevalence of diabetes among the elderly: The Mediterranean islands (MEDIS) study
Original languageFrench
Pages (from-to)484-490
Number of pages7
JournalDiabetes and Metabolism
Volume36
Issue number6
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - Dec 2010
Externally publishedYes

Keywords

  • Diabetes mellitus
  • Dietary habits
  • Elderly
  • Epidemiology
  • Mediterranean islands
  • Protein consumption
  • Risk of diabetes

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Internal Medicine
  • Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism
  • Endocrinology

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Long-term animal-protein consumption is associated with an increased prevalence of diabetes among the elderly: The Mediterranean islands (MEDIS) study'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this