Conventional ON-OFF keyed signals, such as return-to-zero (RZ) and nonreturn-to-zero (NRZ) signals are susceptible to cross-gain modulation (XGM) in semiconductor optical amplifiers (SOAs) due to pattern effect. In this letter, XGM effect of Manchester -duobinary, RZ differential phase-shift keying (RZ-DPSK), NRZ-DPSK, RZ, and NRZ signals in SOAs were compared. The experimental results confirmed the reduction of crosstalk penalty in SOAs by using Manchester-duobinary signals.
- Cross-gain modulation (XGM)
- Modulation format
- Semiconductor optical amplifier (SOA)
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Atomic and Molecular Physics, and Optics
- Physics and Astronomy (miscellaneous)