A game theoretical approach to construction safety in the repair, maintenance, alteration and addition (RMAA) sector

Carol K H Hon, Ping Chuen Chan

Research output: Chapter in book / Conference proceedingConference article published in proceeding or bookAcademic researchpeer-review

2 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Safety has long been a problem in the construction industry. Repair, maintenance, alteration and addition (RMAA) sector has emerged to play an important role in the construction industry. It accounted for 53% of the total construction market in Hong Kong in 2007. Safety performance of the RMAA works has been alarming. Statistics indicate that the percentage of fatal industrial accidents arising from RMAA works in Hong Kong was over 56% in 2006 while the remaining 44% was from new works. Effective safety measures to address the safety problems and improve safety performance of the RMAA sector are urgently needed. Unsafe behaviour has been attributed to be one of the major causes of accidents. Traditional cost-benefit analysis of workers' safety behaviour seems to be inadequate. This paper proposes to adopt a game theoretical approach to analyse safety behaviour of RMAA workers. Game theory is concerned with the decision-making process in situations where outcomes depend upon choices made by one or more players. A game theoretical model between contractor and worker has been proffered. Mathematical analysis of this game model has been done and implications of the analysis have been discussed.
Original languageEnglish
Title of host publicationProceedings of the 2nd International Postgraduate Conference on Infrastructure and Environment, IPCIE 2010
Pages164-171
Number of pages8
Volume1
Publication statusPublished - 1 Dec 2010
Event2nd International Postgraduate Conference on Infrastructure and Environment, IPCIE 2010 - Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Duration: 1 Jun 20102 Jun 2010

Conference

Conference2nd International Postgraduate Conference on Infrastructure and Environment, IPCIE 2010
CountryHong Kong
CityHong Kong
Period1/06/102/06/10

Keywords

  • Construction safety
  • Game theoretical model
  • RMAA sector
  • Safety behaviour

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Building and Construction
  • Environmental Science(all)

Cite this